Monday 15 November 2010

playing with plaster and puppy dogs ears

Not at the same time obviously but as I write I have my puppy dog friend Dylan curled up next to me on the sofa so excuse the bad spelling as I gently scratching his ears.

My friend Dylan
Well I am back in Cumbria again at the Uni on the AA2A scheme. Today was really productive as I sat with the second years watching Steve Ogden, the principal lecturer on the Applied Arts degree demonstrating how to turn plaster forms on the lathe. It was a day of mixed emotions as I am not confident with plaster and with some trepidation I created a plaster chuck to have a go myself after being shown how to work safely.

Steve demonstrating the lathe
After trying to produce a straight graduated cone shaped form I gave in to the temptation of creating a more rounded form. I worked all afternoon so the students could get on the lathes tomorrow with their 'rhino' rendered 3D forms very flash but all too complicated for me, pencil and paper was good enough for me and then I changed it in the making. I have to say I was quite taken by the process once I had pared down the form to straighten it up. I am back tomorrow to cast the positive mould and maybe just maybe get back on the lathe second year students permitted. I think I might be hooked. 

my final form of the day








No comments:

Post a Comment

Workshops dates for 2020

Julie Miles Ceramics Courses for 2020     So I am launching my new workshops at long last! So if you fancy having a go, being crea...